A couple who kept a live bomb as a garden ornament for decades have said they were sorry that their “old friend” had been detonated by a bomb disposal unit.
The missile, which had been outside the home of Sian and Jeffrey Edwards, is thought to date back to the late 19th century.
The couple, from Milford Haven, Pembrokeshire, had thought it was a “dummy” bomb with no charge.
Sian Edwards said she used to bang her trowel on the bomb to remove earth after gardening.
On Wednesday, a police officer informed the couple he had spotted the bomb and would need to alert the Ministry of Defence. An hour later, the officer told the couple the bomb squad would arrive the next day.
Jeffrey Edwards, 77, said: “We didn’t sleep a wink all night. It knocked us for six.
The bomb was transported to a disused quarry in Walwyn’s Castle, buried with five tonnes of sand and detonated after tests showed it was live with a very small amount of charge.
Warships for the Royal Navy used to drop anchor in St Brides Bay and use the sands towards the Welsh village of Broad Haven for target practice.
The Ministry of Defence said: “We can confirm that on 30 November 2023, Ashchurch Troop, 721 EOD Sqn, 11 EOD&S Regt RLC, responded at the request of Dyfed-Powys police to a suspect item of ordnance.
“The EOD team assessed the item and determined it to be a 64lb naval projectile which was removed from the scene for subsequent explosive demolition.”