A 15-year-old boy has been found guilty of racist attack on a Singaporean student in London last February guilty.
The boy was with of a group of other teens when the attack on Singaporean student Jonathan Mok took place on Oxford street, London.
The verdict on Monday (Jan 4) by the Highbury Corner Youth Court comes after the boy pleaded guilty in August last year to wounding or causing grievous bodily harm without intent.
He had challenged the account of Jonathan Mok, 23, in the London court claiming he and his friends never said “I don’t want your coronavirus in my country” or made any comments regarding Mok’s ethnicity.
However, the court on Monday found him guilty of racially aggravated grievous bodily harm, the initial charge brought on by the Metropolitan police following months of investigation.
Chairman of the Bench Lesley Ward laid out the verdict that the attack had been “unprovoked and racially motivated”, after Mok’s testimony that the group had spewed racist epithets during the attack was supported by witnesses in the vicinity.
The accused who have not been named because of his age will be sentenced on Jan 27.
Mok, is one of many of Chinese ethnicity who were targeted in Europe and America by those who linked the coronavirus with the Chinese, especially in the early months of the pandemic.
The University College London law student had said on Facebook that he only turned around to face the group after he heard them say “coronavirus” as he walked past them that night.
One of the group of five, which included a girl, then punched him in the face and said “I don’t want your coronavirus in my country” before they fled.