Eight students have been arrested in Las Vegas on suspicion of murder after a teenager was beaten to death.
A group of about 10 youngsters was filmed appearing to beat Lewis on November 1, 2023, on the 1900 block of Searles Avenue near Rancho High School.
The video shows Lewis throwing a punch before being descended upon by the group of teens.
In a shock retaliation, the swarm of students begins hitting and kicking him repeatedly while he lies on the ground.
Las Vegas police said the students were aged between 13 and 17 and investigators were working to identify two more teenagers believed to have been involved in the brwl.
Jonathan Lewis, 17, died in hospital with severe “head trauma” a week after the attack, homicide lieutenant Jason Johansson said.
Mr Johansson said the fight had been arranged after a pair of headphones and a vape pen were stolen from Jonathan’s friend.
Investigators believe Jonathan was originally not supposed to be involved in the fight but accompanied his friend to a nearby alleyway, where the brawl was scheduled to take place after classes ended for the day at Rancho High School in eastern Las Vegas.
The coroner’s office in Las Vegas ruled the beating was a homicide.
The students who cannot be identified because of their age will be charged for murder, a decision to be made by the local district attorney’s office.
A GoFundMe page set up by Lewis’ family, claims he had been standing up for a smaller friend who had been robbed and thrown in a trash can before the attack.
“Jonathan was an aspiring artist, a kind, loving, caring, and generous young man who had his whole life ahead of him and he will be forever loved and cherished every day every moment.” Jonathan’s Dad said.